Cause and effect with vaping and smoking
11. Have you ever tried vaping or smoking?
Vaping - includes using an electronic cigarette, e-cig, shisha pen, hookah pen
Smoking - includes roll-ups & ready-made cigarettes.
Please select one answer
(and if they answer Both...)
12. Smoking and Vaping: Which did you try first?
(_) I tried smoking and vaping at about the same time
(_) I don't remember
The results looked like this:
|Vaping first||Smoking first||I tried smoking and vaping
at about the same time
|Area 1||Year 8||20%||44%||7%||29%|
|Area 2||Year 8||45%||12%||0%||43%|
The mix of causes and effects and possible pathways cannot be shown here, but some important points are:
- where a student has used both e-cigarettes and tobacco, vaping can precede tobacco use (both areas)
- vaping can precede tobacco use more often than the other way around (area 2 only)
- young people in different communities may have very different patterns of adoption